Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich Recipe2018-09-19
Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds top round steak
- 1 large Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 4-6 bell peppers, any color
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 pound sharp provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 to 6 soft hero rolls or hoagie rolls
1. Tightly roll the eye round steak into a torpedo or log shape. Wrap tightly in plastic. Place log in freezer for 45 minutes to firm the beef into a tight but not frozen texture.
2. Remove plastic, and working quickly, use an electric knife to slice the beef into paper-thin strips, almost shaving the beef. If this does not work well, use a sharp knife and cut the beef into the thinnest slices possible, then flatten the slices using a meat tenderizer. Refrigerate slices until ready to cook.
3. Peel and halve onion. Slice into paper-thin half moon pieces. Halve the peppers, remove and discard seeds, and then slice into thick wedges.
4. Warm 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over low heat. Add onions and cook 8 to 10 minutes, until caramelized and softened, stirring frequently. Do not allow them to brown. Transfer onions to bowl; add pepper to same skillet, still over low heat. Cook peppers 10 to 15 minutes, until soft and tender, flipping often. Transfer to bowl with onions. Season onion-pepper mixture to taste. Cover bowl to keep warm.
5. In a clean skillet, warm the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Cook the beef in 2 batches, until lightly browned and cooked through, stirring often. Add olive oil if necessary.
6. To serve: Pile beef strips, peppers and onions and cheese slices inside a hero roll.
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 people rated this recipe