Italian Herbs and Cheese Bread2017-05-26
Italian Herbs and Cheese Bread
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (100 – 110 degrees F)
- 1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 3 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 tbsp cornmeal
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup parmigiano reggiano, or any type of hard cheese
- In a mixing bowl, combine the water and yeast and allow to sit for 10 minutes to dissolve. Add the sugar, salt, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and flour; attach the dough hook and knead for 10 minutes on low to medium speed.
- Turn the dough out onto your work surface and cut the dough into 4 equal parts. Shape each one into a cube and roll out into a 4″x5″ rectangle. Starting with the long edge, roll each piece of dough jelly-roll style and pinch the seam to seal, including the ends that will need to be slightly folded under.
- Place each log of dough seam-side down on a parchment-lined baking sheet that has been sprinkled with cornmeal; there should be at least 4 inches between each log of dough. Cover with a kitchen towel and allow the dough to rise for 40 minutes in a warm place (the dough should double in size).
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and place a rack in the lowest part of the oven. Fill a baking pan with 4 cups of water and place on the bottom (lowest) rack.
- Uncover the dough, brush with melted butter, use a knife to cut shallow slices in the tops of each one and sprinkle with parmigiano reggiano. Bake in the middle rack (over the water-filled pan) for 20-25 minutes, until the bread is golden brown. Transfer the bread to a metal rack to cool.
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 people rated this recipe