Fresh Cucumber Bread/Cake2017-09-05
Fresh Cucumber Bread/Cake
Serves 13″x9″x2″ cake or two smaller pans
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour (approx.)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 2 1/2 pounds fresh cucumbers
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 325°; grease and lightly flour a 13”x9”x2” baking pan (or two smaller pans)
- Wash, peel and coarsely shred cucumbers into a colander. Apply light pressure to the shredded cucumbers, squeezing out additional moisture until the cucumbers are moist, but not overly drippy. Set aside.
- Combine all dry ingredients and walnuts in a large mixing bowl.
- Add 3 cups shredded cucumber, oil and eggs. On medium speed, beat ingredients until thoroughly combined, approximately 2 minutes.
- Because cucumbers have a high moisture content, the consistency of the batter will be thinner than a typical cake batter. Look for a consistency similar to pancake batter, adding additional flour if needed.
- Pour batter into the pan(s) and bake at 325° for 60 minutes or until the cake passes the ‘clean toothpick’ test. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Serve plain or with a light drizzled glaze. Makes a great dessert or breakfast snack!