Five-day bread and butter pickles2017-08-10
Five-day bread and butter pickles
Just like the easy refrigerator dill pickles, these five-day bread and butter pickles are quick and easy to do and only requires a few cucumbers. You keep them in the fridge so you do not have to worry about the canning process. Much easier and quicker and just as good if not better tasting!
I hope to get some pictures on here soon but in the meantime here is the recipe I used:
- 3-4 kirby cucumbers, sliced into quarter-inch-thick coins
- 1/4 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/8 tsp celery salt
Directions with pictures, (pictures will be posted soon I promise!) :
- Pack one clean quart-size jar or two clean pint jars with cucumbers, onions, bell pepper, and garlic.
- In a separate clean jar, combine all other ingredients and shake vigorously until sugar and salt are dissolved. (Pop the jar in the microwave for a few seconds if sugar sludge remains at the bottom.)
- Pour brine over the cucumbers. Note: It will not cover them all the way, but the cucumbers will shrink down and release water as they sit.
- Shake up the jar(s) and refrigerate. The pickles will taste good after one day, but let them sit for five to get the bread-and-butter flavor.