Cheesy, Creamy Hot Lobster Dip2019-06-09
Hot lobster dip:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 leek (white and light green parts only), thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon each smoked paprika and kosher salt
- Pinch each cayenne pepper and black pepper
- 455 – 680 gram lobster, steamed shelled and chopped (about 1 cup meat)
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- Old Bay Potato Chips for serving, recipe follows
Old Bay potato chips:
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/8-inch slices on a mandolin
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- Old Bay seasoning
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat and cook leek and garlic, stirring until leek is softened, for about three minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring constantly to prevent browning, for two minutes.
- Whisk in cream, milk, paprika, salt, cayenne pepper and black pepper; bring to boil, whisking often.
- Reduce heat and simmer, whisking, until sauce is thick enough to coat back of spoon, about four minutes.
- Whisk in lobster, half of the Gruyere cheese, the lemon juice and sherry; cook, stirring often, until lobster is heated through.
- Scrape into two-cup baking dish; sprinkle with remaining cheese and broil until golden and bubbly, about four minutes.
- Let stand for five minutes before serving with Old Bay Potato Chips. Bon appetite!
Old bay chips:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Slice the potatoes into a bowl and immediately toss them with the oil. Season with Old Bay and salt and arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Season again lightly with Old Bay, salt and pepper when they come out of the oven.
- Transfer to a rack to cool for maximum crispness. Enjoy!