Quick French Onion Soup Recipe2017-08-08
Quick French Onion Soup Recipe
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 large sweet onions, divided
- 1 and 1/2 tsp. brown sugar, divided
- coarse black pepper
- 6 cups low or no-sodium beef broth
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- baguette or other white bread
- 5 oz. Gruyere cheese
- 1 cup red wine
- Cut the butter into small pieces and put it into a very large skillet over medium heat. Peel and slice one onion. Add it to the skillet. Increase heat to medium-high. Add 1/2 teaspoon of the brown sugar and a pinch of salt and of black pepper. Stir. Peel and slice a second onion. Add it to the skillet with another 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar and some salt and pepper. Stir. Repeat with final onion. Cover skillet (if you don’t have a cover for it, use a large baking sheet or a big piece of aluminium foil). Continue to cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, untill well-browned and very soft, 10-11 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the broiler. Pour the beef broth into a large pot or Dutch oven over high heat. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and the thyme. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer.
- While the broth is heating, slice the bread into 4-5 slices. Put in a single layer on a baking sheet and put it under the broiler until it is toasted. Shred the cheese. Remove toast from broiler. Flip slices over. Top each with some of the cheese. Return it to under the broiler until cheese is melted.
- When the onions are well-browned, add the wine to them. Stir it until most of the wine has evaporated. Add the onions and wine to the hot broth. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top each serving with a slice of cheese toast.