Mexican Steak Tacos2017-10-10
Mexican Steak Tacos / Cómo Hacer Tacos de Bistec
- 2 pounds thinly sliced Steaks of Rib eye or Sirloin or Diezmillo at your local Latin Store.
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or lard Lard is better for an authentic taste
- 1 medium onion finely chopped about 1 cup
- 1 bunch of cilantro finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A good spicy salsa to top the tacos
- Add salt and pepper to the steaks.
On a heavy skillet at medium high heat add the vegetable oil. Place the steak when the oil is hot and brown the steaks.
Cook for about 2 minutes and turn. If you are making several steaks, wrap the cooked ones in aluminum foil and keep warm in an oven while you finish cooking the rest of the steaks. Do not over cook.
While the steaks finish cooking, start warming the tortillas in a medium heat skillet and wrap them in a kitchen towel.
Chop the meat into small pieces and place some of the meat into each warm tortilla. (Some taco stands warm their tortillas in the same skillet the meat was cooked to absorb the flavor and some also add more oil to the skillet while warming the tortillas). Top each taco with the chopped onion and cilantro.
A variation of steak tacos are Tacos Campechanos; that’s how they’re called in Toluca, the capital city of the State of Mexico. You mix chopped steak and chorizo in a taco. After previously cooking the steak, fry some chorizo in the same skillet until well cooked.